Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 3 -- Wednesday, June 11

Today also started off wet, and I’m beginning to wonder just how dry this season is supposed to be. The rain didn’t last long, however, and after breakfast and the locals’ Bible study I went out to try my hand at slashing. What is slashing, you ask? Well, it’s a lot like cutting grass by hand with half of a lawnmower blade (check out the item for sale about halfway down this page), and it’s as difficult and exhausting as it sounds. There are several hired hands here that are absolute pros at it, and they make it look easy. For about an hour, I worked with Fred and Nick on clearing a small area of some grass, and the pros followed behind us doing the work that we should have done. At the end of that time my arms were weak, my hands were raw, and I was absolutely finished. It’s just an example of how the all native workers do things day in and day out that I couldn’t handle for a fraction of my time here.

After that I found my host, David, who enlisted me in helping set up a house-to-house wired network with some cable and switches. (The whole time I thought about how Matt Olson would really love this!) I won’t go into detail on this, but needless to say it was much more up my alley than chopping coarse grass with a bent sword.

In the afternoon, I spent about three hours at the JSS, helping the girls with their math again. I was able to lead a review session for an exam they have tomorrow, and I think it went pretty well. Most schools here have almost no resources in the way of paper, pencils, books, etc., so it’s pretty amazing how well these girls are doing considering their background. It’s still pretty basic math that they’re doing, but it’s a start.

During the children’s play time in the mid-afternoon, Nick and Rebecca set up their instruments for another mini concert. This time, since Wednesdays are “free play” (meaning the kids can do whatever they want rather then spend the time in an assigned activity), the WHOLE VILLAGE of children came to hear them play and sing. I wasn’t able to go, but I hear it was an amazing time, especially as the Mamas and children began singing some native African songs and dancing around. I’ll definitely have to make a point of being there next time!

For dinner, some young boys roped me into sitting at their table. They then proceeded to make me promise to come read to them in the evening! I agreed, after asking their Mama if this was okay. So around 7:30 pm I headed over to the home of Mama Ronsy (who can’t be more than 4’8”) and her 10 children. Sandy Lu loaned me the book Giraffes Can’t Dance, and I did my best to give a rousing rendition. It was so wonderful to have all of their attention for that time, and even though they were tired, they did not falter. Mama Ronsy was very gracious as a hostess, and I could tell that the children loved and respected her through how they responded to her words. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t get a photo of the occasion!

No comments: